Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Give me a museum and I'll fill it." - Pablo Picasso









As some of you may have noticed in the past, Pink's window displays can be pretty unreal- all thanks to our main man, Ken! It seems like he outdoes himself every time- no detail goes unnoticed. Personally, I love being in store after hours while he's working because I LOVE watching his creative process and sometimes he even lets me help :) You know that saying "the grass is always greener"? Well, that is surely the case for me when I see him execute his brilliant ideas- like, "why can't I think of that?!" At least I can appreciate it!

Ken will spend however long it takes to get it just right. If that means 120 hours (like our Marie Antoinette-inspired Christmas window 3 years ago did) or a mere 6 hours, he gets it done. Our display room, for lack of a better term, has multiplied in size over the years, but luckily Ken knows how to recycle as well! We have wigs from 10 years ago down there that have been known to make an appearance or two on a particularly "silly" day aka an event we've hosted that involved adult beverages :) Not that we're lushes or anything...(right Rebecca?! ala CanCan..)

Anyways, I couldn't let this window go unnoticed- it's Picasso inspired in preparation for the exhibit  opening here at the VMFA later this month (http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Picasso/) I like to call our window his "Pink Period" hehe. Ken did the drawings(with chalk) after researching Picasso's work and then sketching his own versions. He styled the girls to the max, right down to their stockings- and no, those tights are not available in the store! In fact, you can make your own- just take two different pair, cut them in half and put one half on each leg and voila!

So, the moral to all my ranting here is if you live in Richmond, come by and check out Ken's latest and greatest masterpiece! And stop in a say hello when you do. I did my best to take some photos for you out-of-towners,but alas, pictures only capture a portion..nor am I  the world's best photographer! Enjoy nonetheless and hope to see y'all soon.

THANKS KEN!!!

xxo
jaime

1 comment:

  1. VMFA loves to inspire our friends! I am posting this to the Facebook page. Nice windows!

    ReplyDelete