Monday, April 18, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Pink Mannequin

I've always secretly wondered what it would be like to be a mannequin- not one of those real people who get paid to stand unthinkably still in a storefront, but a real, plastic (or whatever they're made of) form with removable limbs. I probably shouldn't admit to this, but lately I've put some serious thought into it, and I've come to the conclusion that while there are a lot of pros, there are also a few cons. 
Yes, as a mannequin you have a impeccably perfect body- tall and thin with legs for days and sculpted arms...almost the whole package, but missing perhaps the most important part- A FACE! No eye or hair color to distinguish you from the girl standing next to you. That means you never get to treat yourself to a day at the salon (never mind the fact that you wouldn't even be able to bend your body to sit in the chair); nor will anyone ever say to you "Your eyes are blue, like the ocean..and baby, I'm lost at sea." On the other hand, you'll NEVER have to hem a pair of jeans ever again! Your boobs will also defy gravity, not to mention they are the PERFECT size- AND, you'll never have to wear a bra! Dream come true to most..And imagine not having to shave your legs again, so say goodbye to $18 razor refills (seriously, when did they get so expensive?)
Aside from the physical aspects of being a mannequin, there's also the emotional side. A real person may have an issue with hundreds of people walking by, pointing and sometimes laughing at them on a daily basis, but being a mannequin you lack the ability to process these emotions because your head is full of fiberglass- not a brain.  However, I would miss some human emotions though..such as the happiness I feel when eating chocolate covered almonds from For the Love of Chocolate. I would also miss laughing at Rebecca's quirky jokes and endless stories about "what  her kids did this morning".. And, as a mannequin (especially at a women's clothing store), I would never get to experience the excitement of a first date. On the other hand, though, I would never have to feel heartbreak. But I would get groped and prodded on a daily basis- thanks to window display changes!
These are just a few of my thoughts, I'm sure there will be more as the days go on (and I have nothing  better to think about!), but perhaps the most important part of being a mannequin in Pink is being able to represent the beautiful digs we have to offer, morning, noon and night!! Thanks girls!
xo
jr
http://freevector.info/images/vector-mannequins-eps.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment